Samuel Lewis Trust

Preserving Listed social housing

Client:      Samuel Lewis Trust

The Samuel Lewis Housing Trust completed its first properties in 1910 at Liverpool Road in Islington, North London with an estate consisting of 6 blocks of imposing five storey buildings. During the ensuing thirty years it became one of the largest providers of rented accommodation in the South East. In 2001 the Trust changed its name to Southern Housing Group to reflect the changing scope of the organisation. During the 1970s the Grade II Listed Liverpool Road properties were reconfigured to create a greater number of units, in keeping with modern requirements for smaller dwellings, providing a total of 247 tenanted flats. Southern Housing Group has undertaken the complete restoration of the original single glazed box sash timber windows, many of which are in bays.  The single glass could not be changed and in order to meet the required level of thermal insulation secondary glazing was proposed following a consultation with the local authority’s Conservation Officer.