Barry Town Hall

New lease of life for Barry Town Hall

Client:      Vale of Glamorgan Council

Built between 1906-1908, to accommodate Barry Urban District Council the construction of Barry Town Hall originally cost the princely sum of £7,488, including its ornate carvings and imposing pair of lions at the main entrance. However, with the passage of time, the building fell into disrepair and in 2005 an ambitious £9.2m restoration and rejuvenation programme commenced. A particular challenge was to overcome the Key Stones at the head of the openings with curved heads. Having been consulted at the initial design stage and working closely with Architects Acanthus Ferguson Mann, Quantity Surveyors Davis, Langdon & Everest and Main Contractor Kier Western, it was possible for Selectaglaze to iron out any potential technical problems well in advance of installation. Selectaglaze produced a total of 118 units consisting of a mix of their Series 20 and 90 vertical sliding units with curved heads, Series 45 side hung casements and Series 10 horizontal sliding units.