Leighton House Museum

Helping preserve the UK's museums

Client:      Leighton House Museum

Leighton House in London’s affluent Holland Park, was built between 1864 and 1879 for Frederic, Lord Leighton, the eminent classical painter and President of the Royal Academy of Art. By the time of his death in 1896, Lord Leighton’s home had become known as his “Private Palace of Art”, famous not only for its architectural and decorative character, but also for the range and quality of the fine and decorative art collected from around the world. Following Lord Leighton’s death, the house was opened as a museum and in 1925 was sold to the Royal Borough of Kensington, predominantly for use as a concert venue, with an extension added to provide additional gallery space. About two years ago a decision was taken to restore the house to its former glory recreating the original appearance using old photographs and through the loan of many key paintings. As part of this restoration it was decided to improve the security of selected windows to “Secured by Design” standards by using secondary glazing. It was important to respect the sight lines of the traditional sash windows and each window has been treated with a single hinged casement finished in matt black to match the existing paintwork. The inclusion of anti-bandit glass and multi-point locking ensures discreet protection.