Radcliffe Infirmary

Selectaglaze at Radcliffe Infirmary

Client: University of Oxford

The Radcliffe Infirmary, named after the 18th century physician and Oxford University graduate John Radcliffe, opened in 1770. The Infirmary finally closed for medical use in 2007, after being purchased by the University. The subsequent £200m redevelopment of the site is one of the University's biggest building projects to have been undertaken within the past 100 years and included the refurbishment of the Grade II Infirmary building, which now accommodates the University's Humanities, Philosophy and Theology Departments and Library. The traditional single glazed sash windows presented a particular problem for the buildings energy performance and the main façade also fronts onto one of Oxford's main thoroughfares, creating unacceptable noise levels for sensitive study areas such as the library and academic research rooms. Most windows were treated with matching sash windows and it was important that the sight lines were respected. The use of a toughened low emissivity glass helped provide a U-value of a combined window of less than 2.0W/m2K, which is close to modern standards.